Tuesday, May 04, 2010

So, tell me about your blog...

This past Sunday I was asked about my blog. Well, to be specific, this blog. I found myself stumbling around and said something like... "well, in the past I've discussed the similarities of raising toddlers and leading artists in the church." OK, well, that's not exactly my intention for this blog, nor is that statement entirely true.

The question did get me thinking.

Today, I began reading an e-book by Darren Rowse about blogging. The first chapter addressed exactly my dilemma Sunday. Darren challenges the reader to develop an "elevator pitch" for their blog. While that seems terribly "spin-savvy" I was incredibly intrigued by the possibility for focus and intentionality that this offers. It felt very much to me like the process of writing a mission statement for my ministry or for any business or organization for that matter.

The process helps to refine the purpose of the organization, or in this case the blog. It also serves as a sort of ruler by which future actions are measured. You can always go back to the statement and check to be sure you are on target with your next move.

Of course, my next thoughts were musings about the purpose of this blog. A friend recently said that they would be discontinuing their blog because they had begun to realize that the reason they were blogging was more about having a place to be heard and then feel validated by the number of people who wanted to hear what they had to say. Ouch, I, like probably many other bloggers, can admit the same when I'm very honest with myself. And, I agree. If that is the purpose behind my blog, I really should just focus these bits of time on other things.

So what is The Organized Artist all about? I am a systems and spreadsheets kind of girl working in, living in and loving a world of church artists. I am the translator who speaks both languages: the process and details needed to get it all done and the beauty with which we long to do it. My hope is to be able to help and encourage other leaders of arts in the church by sharing my experiences, knowledge, in some cases scar tissue.

Serving in arts in the church is hard. It's very hard. It takes a toll on your time, your family, your sanity, sometimes even a toll on your relationship with God. I want to be able to pass on suggestions and tools that can help others in their hard work in arts in the church. I don't begin to think that I have all of the answers. In fact, some days I don't even think I'm asking the right questions. But I would love to get the conversation started. I would love to be able to help other church arts leaders find just the right program for Christmas, figure out a great solution for the service planning timeline crunch, pray with them about struggles in their teams, suggest resources that have been lifelines for me.

So, hello, I'm the Organized Artist. What's your name? And is there some way that I can help you in your ministry?

[image by anniemole]

No comments: