Thursday, December 03, 2009

Let's build a house and start a business together this Christmas!


Last year at this time I was getting to know someone a world away who ended up making quite an impact on me.

Her name is Nancy. She told her story as part of our Christmas production, Wonder.

She is an amazing lady. Nancy, her mother Monica and her son Caleb live a world away in Nakuru, Kenya. You can read more of her story here.

Recently I got an email from our mutual friend, Molly Bail, asking me if I could enlist some friends to help Nancy and Monica. Nancy and Monica are working to save enough money to build a mud house on a piece of land that they have. Nancy is working 30 days as a house girl and will make the equivalent of about $26. They have $66 set aside already and have asked Molly to hold this money for them so that they will not spend it on food. In order to buy the tin sheets and wood they will need to build their house they will need another $105.

I know that the economy is incredibly difficult for many of us and this time of year is extra tight. But I would like to ask if you can give even $10 toward helping Nancy and Monica.

I found out later from Molly that an additional $200 would fund the starting of a business for Nancy and Monica.

So, my hope is that together we can raise the $305 needed to accomplish both the building of their home and the funds to launch their business.

It's amazing to me, in my corner of the world, to think that $305 can accomplish so much because it seems to be so little.

If you can help in any way at all, please email me and let me know.

No comments: